Thursday 2 June 2011

The launch of a space shuttle

On the 14th of May 2010 I was holidaying in Florida. My husband, Simon, sister, Paula and brother-in-law, Gareth and I had gone to one of the Disney water parks for the day. It was fantastic. The sun was sizzling, we were burning, especially Simon, but we were having so much fun. 

We had heard on the t.v that morning that a shuttle was being launched from the Kennedy Space Center. We knew the traffic would be bad so we wanted to go somewhere for the day that was out of the way. 
 
We were enjoying the waves in the surf pool when it was announced over the intercom that Atlantis was just about to be launched. Everyone stopped what they were doing to stand and watch.

It was an amazing sight. I could not believe how well we could not only see the rocket but feel it too. I felt privileged to be witness to what we later found out was the final journey for Atlantis. 

Every single person, no matter what nationality, was frilled to see the launch. People were crying, cheering and shaking hands. The atmosphere was awesome.

Atlantis has been to space 32 times. On flight STS-132, which is the name of the last flight, 3 spacewalks were conducted whilst it was docked to the orbiting laboratory. Atlantis was cleared for landing on 26th May 2010.

We all have things that we want to see and do before we die, memories we want to make, well that is one thing I can cross of my list. An experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment